|The Hair-Brained Scheme|
| Season 5, Episode # 22 |
Number (#117) in series (117 episodes)
|TV series:||The Brady Bunch|
|Guest star(s)||Robbie Rist|
|Original airdate||8 March 1974|
| « Previous|
| Next »|
The Hair-Brained Scheme is the twenty-second episode of Season 5 of The Brady Bunch, and the 117th and final overall episode of the series. Written by Charles Stewart and directed by Jack Arnold, it first aired 8 March 1974 on ABC.
Bobby sells hair tonic, but it turns Greg's hair orange.
The youngest two Brady kids set out to become rich quick. Bobby sells Neat & Natural hair tonic, while Cindy raises rabbits to sell the babies, but the plans backfire on both of them. Bobby is able to sell only one bottle, and that's to his oldest brother Greg, who's about to graduate from high school. Unfortunately for Greg, the questionable styling aid turns his hair a shaggy tangerine shade just prior to graduation ceremony. And as it turns out, the company that Bobby sold the tonic for had only recently been closed down by FDA. With the high school graduation only hours away, Greg is forced to go to the beauty parlor to turn his hair back to normal before going to graduation.
Meanwhile, Cindy tries breeding two rabbits whom she names Romeo and Juliet, but unfortunately, she later learns that they are both male and thus can't have babies, and the pet shop owner she bought them from refuses to buy them back as he already has too many of them.
- Robert Reed disliked the plot because of the absurd premise and wrote a memo to Sherwood Schwartz about it. He was written out of the last episode as a result. According to Barry Williams in his book, "Growing Up Brady" and various sources since, had the series continued for another series, Mike Brady would have been killed off or recast with a new actor as Dick York was on "Bewitched."
Recurring cast/Guest stars
- Robbie Rist as Cousin Oliver
- Barbara Bernstein as Suzanne
- Hope Juber as Gretchen (as Hope Sherwood)
- Bern Hoffman as First Man
- John Wheeler as Second Man
- Brandy Carson as Woman